Dear friends/ consumers
It is with a deep sense of responsibility that I have undertaken my duties as Chairman of the Cyprus Consumers Association, as from 17th February 2017.
I must say that I feel I am already in familiar territory; one in which I have previously served, for many years, as Vice-Chairman and a member of the Association. As a result, I have experienced and have become well accustomed to the daily issues that arise and the actions of the Association in resolving these.
My desire is for the Cyprus Consumers Association to continue its great efforts in materialising its vision. With this purpose in mind, the Cyprus Consumers Association will continue to protect, to inform and to educate consumers methodically, with responsibility and hard work.
The Cyprus Consumers Association requests that you assist in our efforts to increase the number of members of our Association, given that you are aware of what we do, our initiatives and our efforts. We request that you inform as many friends and family members as possible and encourage them to join the CCA. The power of the Cyprus Consumers Association lies in its members. The more we are in numbers, the more just our voice will be, the larger our strength and the better the results of our actions.
On the 15th March 1962 John F. Kennedy said, inter alia:
”Consumers, by definition, include us all. They are the largest economic group in the economy, affecting and affected by almost every public and private economic decision. Two-thirds of all spending in the economy is by consumers. But they are the only important group in the economy who is not effectively organized, whose views are often not heard.”
We cannot afford to be passive. We, the consumers are empowered and together as a united front, we can create a bigger and greater power for change.
Closing my speech, I would like to refer to the famous quote of Ben Franklin which is: ”instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle”.
Our mission, inter alia, is to safeguard the consumers’ rights and educate and represent the Cyprus consumers in all local and international relevant bodies dealing with consumer matters.
Toward this end we are
- Monitoring the effective implementation of the legislation and regulations regarding consumer protection and consumer rights
- Providing information on Cyprus law regarding consumer protection in accordance with the acquis communautaire
- Providing information on consumers rights and responsibilities
- Promote consumer education through its Adults Consumers Education Programme
- Handling complaints by consumers on faulty, damaged or unsatisfactory quality of products and services
- Providing a reading library on consumer publications such as WHICH (UK), Consumer Reports (USA), Consumer Choice (Ireland)
- Issuing publications, such as ‘O Katanalotis‘, the association’s quarterly magazine, which is sent to its members free of charge, and other informative brochures
- Providing Consumer-related services, lectures etc.
- Conducting comparative market surveys aimed at providing vital information and insight to the consumers
While, we campaign on all consumer issues in Cyprus our main priorities at both local and European Union level are consistent with of the European Commissions new strategy for consumer policy (2002-06), which emphasizes the need to
- ensure a high common level of consumer protection;
- guarantee effective enforcement of consumer protection rules;
- involve consumer organizations in EU policies and its potential impacts in both communities of the island.
These objectives will be pursued through a range of measures and are intended to make it easier to integrate consumer concerns into all other EU policies, to maximize the benefits of the single market for consumers and to prepare for enlargement.
The Association is very active in promoting public awareness and active citizenship of consumers, consumer education and sensitivity on a wide and diverse variety of areas and issues pertaining to:
- Food Safety
- Product Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Health Care
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Family issues
- Services to Consumers
- Consumer Rights
- Information and Communication Technologies
Furthermore, since its inception in 1973, and notwithstanding its financial restraints, the Association regularly undertakes important market surveys regarding prices of goods, display of goods, cleanliness, ease during shopping, awaiting time at cashiers, parking facilities etc, aimed at achieving a high level of consumer protection for all consumers in Cyprus.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is elected every two years during the processes of the General Assembly. The present Board of Directors was elected on 27/01/2017.
CCA Board of Dierectors 2017-2019
|3||Kakouri Eleni||Secretary General||Chemist|
|5||Christofi Christa||Member of the Board/President of Paphos District Commission/ Executive Secretariat||Professor|
|6||Efthimiou Despoina||Member of the Board/Executive Secretariat||Civil Servant|
|7||Constantinou Sofocles||Member of the Board/Executive Secretariat||Retired Teacher|
|8||Gavrielides Sofia||Member of the Board||Retired Teacher|
|9||Zorpas Marinos||Member of the Board||Private employee|
|10||Makrygiannis Spyros||Member of the Board||Health Officer|
|11||Markantonis Achilleas||Member of the Board||Geologist|
|12||Markides-Sophocleous Lena||Member of the Board||Retired Teacher|
|13||Patsalides Simos||Member of the Board/ Representative of Pafos DC||Professor|
|14||Pavlikkas Andreas||Member of the Board||Trade Unionist|
|15||Pegkas Panikos||Member of the Board||Retired Civil Servant|
|16||Rossides Maro||Member of the Board||Professor|
|17||Stylianou Marios||Member of the Board||Bank Employee|
|–||Markou Petros||Honorary President|