- The presentation and advertising of foodstuffs must not mislead consumers and endangering their health.
- For sensitive products with a short shelf life must be indicated on the packaging “use by … ” and that after that date the product is unsuitable .
- For foods with longer shelf life must be indicated on the packaging ‘best before …’.
- All packaged foods must be labeled in Greek language
- If the label on a product includes an indication of the properties of the food , you need to provide information in relation to :
– The energy value, and
– Nutrients (amount of proteins, carbohydrates and fats, vitamins, minerals etc).
- The nutrients must be expressed per 100g or 100ml, depending on the food and extra per serving or per serving.
- Consumers should be fully informed through labeling for any food contains ingredients, which can cause allergies. For example, dressings containing allergenic ingredients such as eggs, milk, mustard, the label must indicate clearly these components. Even alcoholic drinks, they contain ingredients that may cause allergy, such as sulfur dioxide in wine, must specify.
1. It is mandatory to include the details of the manufacturer / supplier label
It is mandatory to include the details of the manufacturer / supplier on the label. Note Always contact the manufacturer / manufacturer or the seller (if the food is prepared or packed in Cyprus) , which must be clearly displayed on the label , so we can complain or ask for more information about the product if any present problem.
2.How important are the labels
Always read the labels. The markup tags tell us what they are made of food, warn us of potential risks from the use or misuse, advising us how to maintain and provide us with instructions. We check the ingredients, expiry date, additives and nutrients listed on the label of food. Decoding the labels we can protect our health.
3.What information must appear on a label?
All packaged foods must, inter alia, to carry the name of the food, and the list of all the quantity of certain ingredients, the net quantity, conditions of conservation, batch code, content labeling of genetically modified organisms, instructions for use, if deemed necessary and country / place of origin .
At the same time, we pay special attention to small letter or any information with asterisks. Sometimes this information may contain exceptions to those listed in large letters.
4. You may submit a complaint or report?
Immediately submit the grievance / complaint against us believes that any illegalities in the Cyprus Consumers Association, providing the food and the proof of purchase, avoiding him know about the lack of compliance with the relevant regulations.